ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:58:58 -0400
Natalie,

One strategy I've used with *some* good results involves having students
simplify what they're looking at so that they don't have to think about
as much material at once. For example, if they've spotted a restrictive
relative, they use some kind of small placeholder symbol and just
substitute it in, attaching it to the noun it modifies. I'll use "#":

James Bunley, a Washington attorney#, says the complexity of Next-Gen is
one of the reasons#.

Similarly, for noun clauses, they can try switching in a placeholder and
expanding it on a separate line (I ask them to go through and do the
"something test" first; the Xes and Ys just stand for different
somethings):

Bjorn said that Brunnhild was asking where her alpenhorn was. -->

Bjorn said X

X = Brunnhild was asking Y

Y = where her alpenhorn was.

Sincerely,