ATEG Archives

February 2004

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:58:05 -0700
Dawn,

Here is how I would do it:  Distance in "some distance away" helps to tell us
how far.  It is one of those adverbial nouns modifying "away."  Cf. "some miles
away."  The adverb of place "away" is being used as a predicate adverb.  The
word "distance" branches down from it and the word "some" branches off of
"distance."

Let me mention that when there is an adverb like "far" or "heavy" the adverb
heading up the adverbial phrase, it is often omitted.  I would simply restore it
in the diagram in parentheses.  Hence we would have "when we had traveled ten
miles (far)" diagrammed in the same way!  This looks like a direct object of
"travel," but it is seems better in my mind to make it parallel to the adverbial
noun of the above sentence.

Bruce

A teacher in my department came to me this morning for help diagramming this
clause from a Fitzgerald sentence: when we were still some distance away.  What
should she do with distance?
Dawn
Fay Sweney wrote: Whoops! Looks like a draft email was accidentally sent.
English teachers in my school district are currently evaluating curriculum.  One
step is to identify the complexity of what we expect kids to learn.  We are in
disagreement about this.  Using Bloom's taxonomy, how would you classify the
complexity of questions like those below-- Comprehension? Application?
Analysis?  And why? 1.  Is the underlined word in the following sentence a
preposition?     The dog ran across the street. 2.  Which of the following
sentences contains a prepositional phrase?     a.  The cowboys rode their
horses.     b.  The cowboys gave the horses a drink.      c. The cowboys rode
their horses into the sunset. My book was found under a fluffy pillow.3. The
word pillow functions as      a. an adjective      b. a noun      c. a
preposition      d. a pronoun 4.  What is the structure of this sentence?
a. simple       b. compound       c. complex Fay Sweney
Lake City High School
6101 N. Ramsey Rd.
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83815
[log in to unmask]  To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the
list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and
select "Join or leave the list"
Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/To join or leave this LISTSERV list,