ATEG Archives

December 2004

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:11:43 -0500
Jeremy,

I prefer the singular verbs in (1-2).  "What" is the subject in both
cases, and, although the subject complement contains plural nouns, the
pseudo-clefted "what" seems to give them singular reference.  "The long
evenings and nights" and "the people who use abusive language in the
streets" are turned into objects of annoyance by the use of "what".
There are clear cases where wh-words have plural meaning, as in

Who were the first three people you met on campus?

What were the things you saw on the sidewalk?

But in these the proximity of the plural NP to the wh-word is much
greater.  And proximity is an important factor in number agreement, as
in

Was Marie or her sons waiting for you?

Were Marie's sons or her daughter waiting for you?

In your sentences, "what" turns the plural nouns into a singular
meaning, treating them as a collective.

Herb Stahlke