ATEG Archives

March 2009

From:
Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:38:57 -0700
--- On Thu, 3/26/09, Scott <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I was on a committee reviewing the bylaws of an organization.  I missed a meeting
and received the final ballot for voting on changes.  Noticing a new change, I asked
how that change (had gotten) got on the ballot.  The obvious response was, “The
committee voted it on.”

I think what happens is that people get used to putting 'had' in front of past tense verbs (that much is clear) and then when they try to put 'had' in front of say 'came', they realize that 'had came' is not right so they settle for 'had come'. There is no way to divine exactly what goes on in their heads but this seems to be the best explanation of how the likes of 'had gotten' come to pass.

Another way to say it is that when people try to put 'had' in front of an irregular verb, they inadvertently force the irregular past participle.

.brad.26mar09.