ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
"Wollin, Edith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:10:13 -0700
Sophie, I think that some subjunctive is on its way out, some is changing
("I wish I were" is becoming "I wish I was"; people have claimed that this
is a lost subjunctive, but it seems to me that using the past form here in
something that is clearly not past tense is still a subjunctive), and some
is freezing/fossilizing---Like "I move that the meeting be adjourned." Your
example will probably freeze too in order to keep the distinction between
the two meanings.
I admit to being a bit of a fossil myself, so what I recognize cannot be
used to identify where the language is going!
Edith Wollin