ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:09:12 -0500
Bruce,

   I think we understand something fundamentally different in Sue cooked
for an hour and The rice cooked for an hour.  (If nothing else, Sue
won't dry out from overcooking. She won't burn. And the rice won't get
tired.)  Calling both intransitive doesn't do justice to the
differences.  Calling Sue an actor (cooker) and rice a medium, one
clause intransitive and the other clause ergative works for me as a way
to say that the surface similarities are misleading.  I'm not sure how
blunt that is.  Like much grammar, we don't "see it" entirely on the
page.  The same would be true for "I mowed all lawns" and "I mowed all
days."  Until we consult our internal grammar, we would be apt to say
they are the same.
    I have copies of my book in hand, since Monday;  others I'm told are
on their way to the states.  The stateside distributor is The David
Brown Book Co.   PO Box 511   Oakville CT  06779.  (toll free #
800-791-9354.)  It retails for $26.95, and they ask $4.50 for the first
book and $1.50 for each one after to cover shipping..
    Anyone requesting an inspection copy for possible classroom adoption
can do so directly to Equinox Publishing Ltd. ,Unit 6, The Village,  101
Amies St.   London SW11   2JW,   United Kingdom.  Their policy is to ask
for return of the book in 60 days or payment for it if it doesn't get
adopted.
      The desk copy request sheet I had at the ATEG conference somehow
disappeared during the conference, so anyone who signed up and still
wants a review copy (or anyone else) should email me off list.
    It is very kind of you to ask.

Craig