ATEG Archives

November 2008

From:
Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 06:28:15 -0800

Marshall.

I wasn't being cheeky with you (as someone suggested off-list). When one sees the word 'had', there are only four possibilities.

It's the past tense of the verb "to have".
It's used in the past perfect.
It's used in the subjunctive.
It's in error.

Mailer uses it in all four ways. The ones in the last category, 54 of 98 in his case, I called "in error".

If there is another possibility, I would certainly like to know what it is.

.brad.29nov08.

~~~~~~~~~~~

On 11/19/08, Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Marshall,

I have wrecked my brain but have not yet thought of a valid reason why 'had' should appear other than in the three circumstances mentioned. Have you a suggestion?

.brad.20nov08.

On Tue, 11/18/08, Myers, Marshall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Brad,

How are they in “error”?

Marshall