ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Maureen Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:37:42 -0500
I agree it is a comma-splice/run-on, but what is interesting to me is the
structure of the second sentence (specifically, that it begins with a
pronoun/auxiliary verb combination). Based on my unscientific, unquantified
observations, it seems that the majority of c-s/r-o's I see have this
structure at the beginning of the second sentence.

Although it is incorrect strictly according to Hoyle (or Harbace or
whoever), I find it an interesting error because there is a certain logic to
it - since the pronoun is a mere reflection of the closest appropriate noun
and the linking verb essentially a lexical equal sign, the very weak
beginning to the second sentence can make it seem highly dependent on (or at
least highly connected to) the first sentence. Furthermore, this is a
construction that is not uncommon in fiction or other types of published
writing. It may be incorrect, but it isn't (in this case) a
punctuation/coordination error that renders a sentence confusing.

So I would say it is a comma splice, but it is also a potential watershed in
the continuing evolution of punctuation (which is, after all, a completely
human-invented thing). If not coming to a full stop isn't confusing to the
reader and (in fact) may even continue the flow of a developing thought
(although I agree that "it doesn't matter what differences we have, we will
always . . ." would be more clear) then perhaps it is in that murky category
of puzzlements with "the student and their errors" pronoun/antecedent
dilemma.

In terms of responding to the students, I would tell them to be aware of the
pronoun/linking verb construction (particularly if this error runs
throughout the papers). However, you might also ask why the student chose
the comma - although he/she probably won't be able to articulate the reason
in grammatical terms, if you hear that the desire was for a certain effect
in balance and pace, then I'd let it go with a short caution. But I'm a
heretic.

Maureen Fitzpatrick
Associate Professor, English
Johnson County Community College