ATEG Archives

April 2009

Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 00:17:40 -0400
"a Washington attorney who served as the last Transportation secretary in
the Reagan administration in 1987089" is an appositive set off by commas and
non-rstrictive by definition.

James Bunley says "the complexity of Next-Gen is one of the reasons the new
system hasn't gained funding." is a noun clause serving as the object of
"said"  The missing 'that' is understood.  Note the converse:

[That] "the complexity of Next-Gen is one of the reasons the new system
hasn't gained funding." is what James Bunly said.  [that] the new system
hasn't gained funding is a restrictive adjective clause identifying "one of
the reasons."

Scott Catledge
Professor Emeritus

Date:    Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:06:30 -0400
From:    Natalie Gerber <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: question on a relative clause

------_=_NextPart_001_01C9C43E.3A8C1C17

Dear all,

=20

May I ask for your help parsing the relative clause in the following
example?

=20

James Bunley, a Washington attorney who served as the last
Transportation secretary in the Reagan administration in 1987089, says
the complexity of Next-Gen is one of the reasons the new system hasn't
gained funding.

=20

I analyze this example as a restrictive relative clause specifying which
Washington attorney; i.e., a restrictive relative clause modifying an
appositive, which itself is a nonrestrictive element modifying the
proper noun James Bunley. Is this correct?

=20

Thanks very much,

Natalie

____________________

Natalie Gerber, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Department of English

SUNY Fredonia

ph. (716) 673-3855

fax (716) 673-4661

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>=20

=20

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

------_=_NextPart_001_01C9C43E.3A8C1C17

xmlns:x=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:excel" =
xmlns:p=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:powerpoint" =
xmlns:a=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:access" =
xmlns:dt=3D"uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882" =
xmlns:s=3D"uuid:BDC6E3F0-6DA3-11d1-A2A3-00AA00C14882" =
xmlns:rs=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset" xmlns:z=3D"#RowsetSchema" =
xmlns:b=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:publisher" =
xmlns:ss=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet" =
xmlns:c=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:component:spreadsheet" =
xmlns:odc=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:odc" =
xmlns:oa=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:activation" =
xmlns:html=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40" =
xmlns:q=3D"http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:D=3D"DAV:" =
xmlns:mt=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/meetings/" =
xmlns:x2=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/excel/2003/xml" =
xmlns:ois=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/ois/" =
xmlns:dir=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/directory/" =
xmlns:ds=3D"http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#" =
xmlns:dsp=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/dsp" =
xmlns:udc=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/data/udc" =
xmlns:xsd=3D"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" =
xmlns:sub=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/2002/1/alerts/"=
 xmlns:ec=3D"http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#" =
xmlns:sp=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/" =
xmlns:sps=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/" =
xmlns:xsi=3D"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" =
xmlns:udcs=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/data/udc/soap" =
xmlns:udcxf=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/data/udc/xmlfile" =
xmlns:udcp2p=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/data/udc/parttopart" =
xmlns:wf=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/workflow/" =
xmlns:dsss=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/digsig-setup" =
xmlns:dssi=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/digsig" =
xmlns:mdssi=3D"http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/package/2006/digital-sig=
nature" =
xmlns:mver=3D"http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006=
" xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns:mrels=3D"http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/package/2006/relationshi=
ps" xmlns:spwp=3D"http://microsoft.com/sharepoint/webpartpages" =
xmlns:ex12t=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/types"=
 =
xmlns:ex12m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/services/2006/messag=
es" =
xmlns:pptsl=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/soap/SlideLibrary/=
" =
xmlns:spsl=3D"http://microsoft.com/webservices/SharePointPortalServer/Pub=
lishedLinksService" xmlns:Z=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:" =
xmlns:st=3D"&#1;" xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

in the
following example?<o:p></o:p></p>

the last
Transportation secretary in the Reagan administration in 1987089, says =
the
complexity of Next-Gen is one of the reasons the new system hasn&#8217;t =
gained
funding.<o:p></o:p></p>

clause
specifying which Washington attorney; i.e., a restrictive relative =
clause
modifying an appositive, which itself is a nonrestrictive element =
modifying the
proper noun James Bunley. Is this correct?<o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>_____________=
_______<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Natalie
Gerber, Ph.D.</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Assistant
Professor<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>Department
of English</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>SUNY
Fredonia</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>ph.
(716) 673-3855<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'>fax
(716) 673-4661</span><o:p></o:p></p>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"'><a
href=3D"mailto:[log in to unmask]"><span =

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:15:06 -0400
From:    Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: question on a relative clause

That's pretty much what I would say, except that I'd call the whole thing =
[a Washington attorney who served as the last
Transportation secretary in the Reagan administration in 1987-89] an =
appositive and say that the appositive had a restrictive relative clause =
embedded in it.=20
i.e., this particular appositive =3D determiner + noun + NOUN HEADWORD + =
relative clause. =20

Maybe that's what you were saying,

Beth

Dr. Beth Rapp Young
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~byoung

University of Central Florida
Reach for the Stars

     http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html=20

Date:    Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:19:37 -0400
From:    Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>

--001636416c7d414fbc04683cec23

Correct. Both relative clauses are restrictive, and the appositive is
nonrestrictive.

Dick Veit

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Natalie Gerber <[log in to unmask]
> wrote:

>  Dear all,
>

> May I ask for your help parsing the relative clause in the following
> example?
>

> James Bunley, a Washington attorney who served as the last Transportation
> secretary in the Reagan administration in 1987089, says the complexity of
> Next-Gen is one of the reasons the new system hasn=92t gained funding.
>

> I analyze this example as a restrictive relative clause specifying which
> Washington attorney; i.e., a restrictive relative clause modifying an
> appositive, which itself is a nonrestrictive element modifying the proper
> noun James Bunley. Is this correct?
>

> Thanks very much,
>
> Natalie
>
> ____________________
>
> Natalie Gerber, Ph.D.
>
> Assistant Professor
>
> Department of English
>
> SUNY Fredonia
>
> ph. (716) 673-3855
>
> fax (716) 673-4661

>  To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web
> interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--001636416c7d414fbc04683cec23

Correct. Both relative clauses are restrictive, and the appositive is nonre=
3, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Natalie Gerber <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a>&gt;</span> wro=
te:<br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

following example?</p>

Transportation secretary in the Reagan administration in 1987089, says the
complexity of Next-Gen is one of the reasons the new system hasn=92t gained
funding.</p>

specifying which Washington attorney; i.e., a restrictive relative clause
modifying an appositive, which itself is a nonrestrictive element modifying=
 the
proper noun James Bunley. Is this correct?</p>

Gerber, Ph.D.</span></p>

Professor</span></p>

of English</span></p>

Fredonia</span></p>

(716) 673-3855</span></p>

(716) 673-4661</span></p>

target=3D"_blank"><span style=3D"color: blue;">[log in to unmask]</span></=
a></span></p>

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list&#39;s web interf=
ace at:
lank">http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html</a>
and select &quot;Join or leave the list&quot;
Visit ATEG&#39;s web site at <a href=3D"http://ateg.org/" target=3D"_blank"=

Date:    Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:29:42 -0400
From:    Natalie Gerber <[log in to unmask]>

Beth and Dick,

Thanks very much. That is what I meant to say. The entire noun phrase,
including the restrictive relative clause, is an appositive.

I wanted to double check because this example just about sent my
college-level grammar class reeling today. If anyone has helpful cues or
resources for simplifying relative clauses and their appearance within
appositives for students (I've been using Longman, Graeme Kennedy, and
OWL, along with examples from newspapers such as this one), please let
me know.

Natalie

That's pretty much what I would say, except that I'd call the whole
thing [a Washington attorney who served as the last
Transportation secretary in the Reagan administration in 1987-89] an
appositive and say that the appositive had a restrictive relative clause
embedded in it.=20
i.e., this particular appositive =3D determiner + noun + NOUN HEADWORD +
relative clause. =20

Maybe that's what you were saying,

Beth

Dr. Beth Rapp Young
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~byoung

University of Central Florida
Reach for the Stars

>>> Natalie Gerber <[log in to unmask]> 4/23/2009 2:06 PM >>>
Dear all,

=20

May I ask for your help parsing the relative clause in the following
example?

=20

James Bunley, a Washington attorney who served as the last
Transportation secretary in the Reagan administration in 1987089, says
the complexity of Next-Gen is one of the reasons the new system hasn't
gained funding.

=20

I analyze this example as a restrictive relative clause specifying which
Washington attorney; i.e., a restrictive relative clause modifying an
appositive, which itself is a nonrestrictive element modifying the
proper noun James Bunley. Is this correct?

=20

Thanks very much,

Natalie

____________________

Natalie Gerber, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Department of English

SUNY Fredonia

ph. (716) 673-3855

fax (716) 673-4661

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>=20

=20

interface at:

Date:    Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:57:21 -0400
From:    Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sequencing information in sentences

--001636b2ae6b300db604683d7359

On occasion we have discussed a speaker's grammatical options for shaping
sentences (by choosing active or passive voice, using extraposition, etc.)
so as to get useful information to listeners in an appropriate sequence. A
letter to the editor in my local paper today demonstrates how a writer can
make some really bad decisions. Here is his opening sentence:

I was dismayed to see President Obama's plans
to simultaneously rebuild America's struggling
economy and find solutions to global warming--
through the introduction of clean, renewable energy
and a cap-and-trade system--come under attack
recently.

Talk about waiting until the very end of a long sentence to insert crucial
information that completely alters its meaning! Seems like an instructive
example to use in a writing class.

Dick Veit

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--001636b2ae6b300db604683d7359

On occasion we have discussed a speaker&#39;s grammatical options for shapi=
ng sentences (by choosing active or passive voice, using extraposition, etc=
.) so as to get useful information to listeners in an appropriate sequence.=
 A letter to the editor in my local paper today demonstrates how a writer c=
an make some really bad decisions. Here is his opening sentence:<br>
&#39;s plans <br>to simultaneously rebuild
America&#39;s struggling <br>economy and find solutions to global warming--
ade
il the very end of a long sentence to insert crucial information that compl=
etely alters its meaning! Seems like an instructive example to use in a wri=
ting class.<br>

Date:    Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:18:09 -0400
From:    Natalie Gerber <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Sequencing information in sentences

------_=_NextPart_001_01C9C448.3CE3E70F

This is a delightful example. Thanks for forwarding it.

=20

Natalie

=20

On occasion we have discussed a speaker's grammatical options for
shaping sentences (by choosing active or passive voice, using
extraposition, etc.) so as to get useful information to listeners in an
appropriate sequence. A letter to the editor in my local paper today
demonstrates how a writer can make some really bad decisions. Here is
his opening sentence:

I was dismayed to see President Obama's plans=20
to simultaneously rebuild America's struggling=20
economy and find solutions to global warming--=20
through the introduction of clean, renewable energy
and a cap-and-trade system--come under attack=20

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/=20

[...]

	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>This is a delightful example. Thanks for forwarding =
it.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'>Natalie<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>

0in 0in 0in'>

style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'>From:</span>=
</b><span
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif"'> Assembly =
for the
Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] <b>On =
Behalf Of </b>Dick
Veit<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Sequencing information in =
sentences<o:p></o:p></span></p>

discussed a
speaker's grammatical options for shaping sentences (by choosing active =
or
passive voice, using extraposition, etc.) so as to get useful =
information to
listeners in an appropriate sequence. A letter to the editor in my local =
paper
today demonstrates how a writer can make some really bad decisions. Here =
is his
opening sentence:<o:p></o:p></p>

see President
Obama's plans <br>
to simultaneously rebuild America's struggling <br>
economy and find solutions to global warming-- <br>
through the introduction of clean, renewable energy<br>
and a cap-and-trade system--come under attack <br>
recently.<o:p></o:p></p>

sentence to
insert crucial information that completely alters its meaning! Seems =
like an
instructive example to use in a writing class.<br>
Dick Veit<br>
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web =
interface at:
http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select &quot;Join or =
leave
the list&quot; <o:p></o:p></p>

Date:    Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:55:57 -0500
From:    John Dews-Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: New Texts

--001e680f13e8c14d6e04683e4454

If anyone reviews the following textbooks, ATEG would surely benefit from a
review! I know I'd love to hear more about them and, particularly, how they
might fit into grammar instruction for pre-service teachers.

*Exploring English Grammar*: *From Formal to Functional* by Caroline Coffin,
Jim Donahue, and Sarah North (Routledge, 2009)

*Doing English* (3rd Ed.) by Robert Eaglestone (Routldge, 2009)

I'm going to get my hands on these texts eventually, and when I do, I'll add
my two cents to any discussions here.

Thanks!

John

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--001e680f13e8c14d6e04683e4454

If anyone reviews the following textbooks, ATEG would surely benefit from a=
 review! I know I&#39;d love to hear more about them and, particularly, how=
 they might fit into grammar instruction for pre-service teachers. <br><br>
going to get my hands on these texts eventually, and when I do, I&#39;ll ad=
d my two cents to any discussions here.<br>

Date:    Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:58:58 -0400
From:    "Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>

Natalie,

One strategy I've used with *some* good results involves having students
simplify what they're looking at so that they don't have to think about
as much material at once. For example, if they've spotted a restrictive
relative, they use some kind of small placeholder symbol and just
substitute it in, attaching it to the noun it modifies. I'll use "#":

James Bunley, a Washington attorney#, says the complexity of Next-Gen is
one of the reasons#.

Similarly, for noun clauses, they can try switching in a placeholder and
expanding it on a separate line (I ask them to go through and do the
"something test" first; the Xes and Ys just stand for different
somethings):

Bjorn said that Brunnhild was asking where her alpenhorn was. -->

Bjorn said X

X =3D Brunnhild was asking Y

Y =3D where her alpenhorn was.

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell

Date:    Thu, 23 Apr 2009 18:09:58 -0400
From:    Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>

--============_-971597895==_ma============

Natalie,

It's very useful to think in terms of form and function.  A noun
phrase is a form; appositive is one of its many functions.

If you're using the -al labels in your class, your students should
recognize that subjects, various complements, the object of
prepositions, as well as appositives, are all nominal functions. All
those functions can be carried out by a variety of forms: noun
phrases (the most common), verb phrases, and clauses.

Your example is complicated by the fact that the appositive noun
phrase has a relative clause as a postheadword modifier.  But a
relative clause (and other pre- and postnoun modifiers) can be part
of any noun phrase, no matter what its function in the sentence. I
spend a lot of time on the description of noun phrases, given their
potential for adding information--and their systematic way of doing
so.  And of course there are many forms that function as
adjectivals--including adjectives, nouns, prepositional phrases, verb
phrases, and clauses.

It might be useful for your class to use that appositive noun phrase
with its postnoun modifier in some of the other noun phrase slots in
the sentence in order to reinforce the idea that it's a common NP
structure--although perhaps somewhat uncommon (given its relative
clause) when it's functioning as an appositive.

Martha

>Dear all,
>
>May I ask for your help parsing the relative clause in the following
example?

>James Bunley, a Washington attorney who served as the last
>Transportation secretary in the Reagan administration in 1987089,
>says the complexity of Next-Gen is one of the reasons the new system
>hasn't gained funding.
>
>I analyze this example as a restrictive relative clause specifying
>which Washington attorney; i.e., a restrictive relative clause
>modifying an appositive, which itself is a nonrestrictive element
>modifying the proper noun James Bunley. Is this correct?
>
>Thanks very much,
>Natalie
>____________________
>Natalie Gerber, Ph.D.
>Assistant Professor
>Department of English
>SUNY Fredonia
>ph. (716) 673-3855
>fax (716) 673-4661
>
>To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web
>interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and
>select "Join or leave the list"

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

--============_-971597895==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: question on a relative
noun phrase is a form; appositive is one of its many functions.</div>
should recognize that subjects, various complements, the object of
prepositions, as well as appositives, are all nominal functions. All
those functions can be carried out by a variety of forms: noun phrases
(the most common), verb phrases, and clauses.</div>
phrase has a relative clause as a postheadword modifier.&nbsp; But a
relative clause (and other pre- and postnoun modifiers) can be part of
any noun phrase, no matter what its function in the sentence. I spend
a lot of time on the description of noun phrases, given their
potential for adding information--and their systematic way of doing
so.&nbsp; And of course there are many forms that function as
adjectivals--including adjectives, nouns, prepositional phrases, verb
phrases, and clauses.</div>
phrase with its postnoun modifier in some of the other noun phrase
slots in the sentence in order to reinforce the idea that it's a
common NP structure--although perhaps somewhat uncommon (given its
relative clause) when it's functioning as an appositive.</div>
color="#000000"><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab></font></div>
relative clause in the following example?</blockquote>
served as the last Transportation secretary in the Reagan
administration in 1987089, says the complexity of Next-Gen is one of
the reasons the new system hasn't gained funding.</blockquote>
relative clause specifying which Washington attorney; i.e., a
restrictive relative clause modifying an appositive, which itself is a
nonrestrictive element modifying the proper noun James Bunley. Is this
correct?</blockquote>
href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</a></blockquote>
please visit the list's web interface at:
http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select &quot;Join or
leave the list&quot;</blockquote>
http://ateg.org/</blockquote>
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

End of ATEG Digest - 21 Apr 2009 to 23 Apr 2009 (#2009-94)

Database version: 6.12240

Database version: 6.12240