ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
William Spruiell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:54:38 -0400
Eduard:

A few points --

(1) Arguments about universal grammar, etc. have bearing really on Craigıs
first question, not the other five. Unless Standard English is the childıs
first language (and it pretty much never is), ³school English² is an
additional code, and even ardent innatists (or, particularly, ardent
innatists) would not argue itıs acquired/learned the same way. And no one
claims literacy and composition skills are innate; the arguments are over
conscious attention and the effects of intervention.

(2) Craig has already made this next point, I think, but it bears repeating:
asking what people think the consensus about X is is different from asking
what X is.

(3) I take your real objection to be something along the lines of, ³if this
is the consensus on (1), the consensus is wrong.² I happen to agree with
most of Sampsonıs positions, and I can bore you half to death kvetching
about Chomsky. But to characterize his position as ³dead² or simply passé
is to adopt one of his more annoying rhetorical practices. There is current
research on the specific-innatist side, and current research on the
emergentist side. I happen to think evidence the latter is stronger, but
then I would, wouldnıt I? We all have to acknowledge the possibility of
bias.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University