ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 10:00:18 -0800
Bruce, Craig, and others in this discussion,
	The point that Craig makes about language being organic and dynamic
deserves more discussion.  As I ruminate upon certain constructions,
insights occur (though they may be fantasies masquerading as
insights).  "I have to do this" could have evolved from "I have this
to do."  I believe most of you are far more informed about the
history of our common language than I.  Can anyone say anything about
this?  I am convinced that semantics precedes syntax if only because
the brain seeks meaning first and uses structure as a strategy in
seeking meaning.  And, yes, these evolve  into conventions within a
social framework, which is also a high priority of the mind.
		Best to you all,
		Gregg