ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:32:23 -0700
It is no doubt impossible to teach writing from a book on how to write, so, I suspect, any writing texts will be flawed or incomplete.  I grew up with Strunk & White and hwve no problem with it as long as it is used the way it was intended (as Craig mentions below); also, I love the Williams' book. There are other useful writing books by Zinser and many others, but nothing can take the place of a good writing teacher, a good sense of how to make language serve one's purposes, and some great models of good writing to study from.  While I think of it, a solid editor must also be a writer's best friend.

Paul

 "If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction" (_Twelfth Night_ 3.4.127-128).