ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:32:06 -0400
A little help, please, with subject/verb agreement in a sentence. These
I have no trouble with:

*	Good policy will come when society at large is educated about
HPV.
*	Good policy will come when at-risk individuals are educated
about HPV.
*	Good policy will come when society at large and at-risk
individuals are educated about HPV.

And pretty sure about this:

*	Good policy will come when society at large (not just at-risk
individuals) is educated about HPV.

But what about this one?

*	Good policy will come when society at large, as well as at-risk
individuals, is/are educated about HPV.

Do the commas make the second phrase an aside so that the verb should
agree with "society" only (i.e., "is")? Or do we treat "as well as" as
equivalent to "and," making "are" the right choice? I seek your informed
guidance on the matter. Any specific reference to authority is
especially welcome.

Dick

Richard Veit
Department of English