ATEG Archives

February 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:03:07 -0500
In English, "remote past" is not a construction or a form; it is a meaning that the past perfect form can express.  Remember, past perfect, "had" + past participle, is a form, not a meaning.  It has meanings associated with it and one of those is "remote past."

Herb
From: STAHLKE, HERBERT F <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, February 26, 2010, 3:05 PM
Brad,

Dick gives an excellent example of past perfect with a remote past meaning, and Craig makes the point well that the meaning of remote past and the interpretation of a past perfect form are subjective.  This is true of most areas of language.  "A lot" can quantify a teaspoon of salt if it's poured on one fried egg, but it can also apply to fifty tons of salt in a highway department storage barn.  As I've said before of your putative incorrect examples of "had," it all depends on context.

Your statement that people mistakenly use "had" before past tense verbs, that they change past tense irregular verbs to past participles after "had," are not empirically testable statements.  There is no way to know or test the writer's intentions.  Your statement that those weak verbs after what you claim are incorrect "had" are functionally past tense depends of a meaning for "functionally" that is unlike the way any grammarian or linguist uses the term.  It is a subjective judgment of yours that apparently no one else is able to replicate consistently.

Herb