ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:42:08 -0500
Gerundive is a translation of modus gerundivus, a Late Latin grammatical term describing the Latin deverbal adjective in -nd having the meaning, "capable of being V" or "required to be V", as in the name Amanda, "one who is to be loved."  The formal difference between the gerund and the gerundive in Latin is that the gerund is a noun and so has its own gender while the gerundive is an adjective and therefore agrees with the noun it modifies in case, number, and gender.  Both have the form verb stem + thematic vowel + nd + desinence.

I agree that we create difficulties when we decide to give it a new meaning, and that is my objection to Ed's use of it in KISS.  However, it's a fairly trivial sin as these things go, and if people start using this term for English -ing forms then at least we have a single, agreed-upon name for them.

Herb