ATEG Archives

July 2014

From:
Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2014 07:40:20 -0700
Bruce,

I am totally amazed by what you have put together!  Though I have seen your name appear many times as you have responded to questions posed by others, I had no idea that you would be such a resource as this.  One has to marvel at the variety of constructions available to us and wonder that people unschooled in the nuances you have delineated are able to absorb their meaning as though they were practiced in their use.  Though syntax may be ex post facto, it allows teachers to enable students to move from an unconscious understanding of the language to a conscious use of variant productive forms.  While grammarians have been accused by whole-language advocates of drill-and-kill instruction, the models, Bruce, that you have laid out allow us to engage students in drill-and-instill instruction.  It is through embedding such forms in our mind through the muscular system replicating these patterns and applying them to new situations that we might expand our students' verbal horizons.

Patrick Finn, author of Literacy with an Attitude, has observed that education tends to reinforce a class system, disempowering outsiders, encouraging the upwardly mobile to follow the rules, allowing many of the upper-middle-class to play with creative expression, and training the upper-class to manipulate words in order to manipulate people.  We need a new pedagogy that engages all students in the use of what Joan Bybee calls productive phrases so that they learn the art of manipulating words to craft sentences that fire the wires in readers' brains.

Dallin D. Oaks, in Structural Ambiguity in English, draws examples from a whole generation of comedians who played grammatical jokes on listeners as a way of bringing them into the fold.  George Burns asks Gracie Allen, "Where did you get those flowers?"  Gracie replied, "You said that if I went to visit Clara Bagley in the hospital, I should take her flowers.  So, when she wasn't looking, I did."

Dallin teaches students how to play with the expectations created by syntactical structures to surprise readers and hold their attention.  So, even if syntax is ex post facto, it helps students see how the language operates and can be used to elevate their writing.  This is how language supports and strengthens a culture.

Bruce, you have me pushing the button for the "next page" of your framework.  It is a wonderful gift to have shared with your colleagues.

Gregg