ATEG Archives

March 2009

Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:37:01 -0400
Admittedly I am from an older generation than many on list; however,
I did not hear "between you and I" from students above 7th grade--much
less from "highly educated people."  Then again, most of my contacts
lately are either from the Deep South or are very interested in language(s).

My sixth-grade English teacher was not a structural linguistic--she went to
college in the 30s--however, she led us into understanding phrasal verbs
and distinguishing prepositions from particles by the mobility of the
particle.

I must confess that I had a professor in 1960 with a PhD in Creative Writing
who did not know that 'bases' was the plural of 'basis' and I reckon a PhD
is considered "highly educated"; however, he was not from the Deep South.

Scott Catledge