ATEG Archives

April 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 12:14:35 -0400
Geoff, and all,
     The reverse is equally true. Consider "Because you were late, we
lost everything" as opposed to "We lost everything because you were
late." Since losing everything seems a more important piece of
information, the first seems smoother (more congruent with meaning) to
my ear. It also allows for two pints of emphasis.
     Introductory word groups of all kinds (anything other than the main
clause grammatical subject) are recognized as *marked theme* in systemic
functional grammar. They are intonationally marked in speech. They
function as a stepping off point for the mesage structure of the
sentence. It is not a trivial choice. Awkwardness would depend on
context, not on some arbitrary formal rule.
     Unfortunately, English teachers tend to rely on hearing as an
alternative to grammar. Saying you should put commas where you hear the
pause is about as useful as "a sentence is a complete thought,"
dangerous because it oversimplifies. Intonation is a grammatical system,
and paying attention to it leads us into the heart of syntax--more
appropriately, into the heart of the grammar-meaning connection.
    We don't just punctuate sentences--we construct them. The
punctuation should work in harmony with those choices. Most students
don't get very far on hearing alone. It is also one thing to know how
you would say it, another to anticipate how a reader would hear it on
the basis of what you have provided (or failed to provide) as clues.

Craig