ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
Liz Christianson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:26:06 -0700
Sorry about the "it's" instead of "its"...typing quickly...no need to bludgeon me.

From: Paul E. Doniger &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 7:35 AM

Carol,
&nbsp;
'Uber' is a German word, meaning 'over'. As far as I understand it, it indicates some sort of a "pejorative superlative," if such a thing is even possible. Thus, an "uber-geek" is a geek who is so "geeky" that he or she is way over the top of "geekness"&nbsp;(so my students might rightly call me an "uber-theatre-geek").&nbsp;Does this make any sense?
&nbsp;
Paul
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;

Sorry, I did not mean to hyphenate "prefix."

From: Spruiell, William C &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;
Subject: Re: Anthimeria: Hell in a handbasket
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 9:10 PMPeter, The heavy use of "name" in those definitions may be partly a legacyof the history of the term itself ("noun" basically meant"name") and partly because the Renaissance tradition Lowth et al. had inherited was itself influenced (unsurprisingly) by medieval philosophy,and there were some important philosophical consequences of viewing a noun as aname rather than as a cue that led to representation. I doubt Lowth was weighingin on any of those philosophical arguments by using the definition he did -- ithad just become common practice when defining nouns in any language by the timeLowth was born.&nbsp; &nbsp;Bill SpruiellDept. of English Central Michigan University&nbsp;________________________________&nbsp;From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar on behalf of Peter AdamsSent: Wed 6/11/2008 12:40 PMTo: [log in to unmask]: Re: Anthimeria: Hell in a handbasket&nbsp;&nbsp;Definitions have all
 the vices Jesperson and Ed complain of, for sure.&nbsp; Andyet, how my students cry out for them.&nbsp; They seem to think, and they may beright, that being able to sort things--words, for instance,--into categories isa necessary step on the path to using them effectively. &nbsp;By the way, I've always wondered why Lowth and almost every handbook authorsince want to say a noun is the NAME of something.&nbsp; My students find thatdefinition very confusing when they come to learn what proper nouns are . . .names of things in a different sense.&nbsp; Perhaps it would be clearer for novicesto say nouns are words that represent . . . persons, places, things, abstractideas, anything that exists.&nbsp; The last part is the hard part, but I'vealways resisted saying nouns are names.&nbsp;Peter Adams&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;On Jun 11, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Edgar Schuster wrote:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Bill (and others),&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; For what it's worth---and I'm not sure it's worth much---Ihave a Murray definition of noun as "the name of any thing that exists, orof which we have any notion."&nbsp; Lowth wrote "the Name of a thing; ofwhatever we conceive in any way to subsist, or of which we have anynotion."&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Maybe this comment from Otto Jespersen is worth a lot more:&nbsp; "Ifthere is one thing I dislike in grammar, it is definitions (of parts of speech)too often met with in our textbooks.&nbsp; They are neither exhaustive nor true; theyhave not, and cannot have, the precision and clearness of the definitions foundin textbooks of mathematics . . . .&nbsp; And thus we might go on to the definitionsfound even in the best grammars: they are unsatisfactory, all of them, and I donot think they are necessary."&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The English Journal [!!!], 1924&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Ed Schuster&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; **************&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102&lt;http://citysbest.aol.com/?ncid=aolacg00050000000102&gt; ) To join or leavethis LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at:http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leavethe list" &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/&nbsp;&nbsp;= To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's webinterface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select"Join or leave the list" &nbsp;Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ &nbsp;&nbsp;To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interfaceat:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.htmland select "Join or leave the list"&nbsp;Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/

http://mail.yahoo.com To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"

Spam
Not spam
Forget previous vote

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"