ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:45:05 -0400
-ly has never been the universal mark of adverbs in English grammar.
Some of the examples that Edmond Wright provides have never of not for a
long time taken required -ly to be used as adverbs, including "quick",
"close", "slow", "fast", etc.  The use of "real" as an intensifier has
been around for a long time in informal speech but isn't common in
formal speech and writing.

changes it tends to change in informal registers before the change
creeps into more formal usage.  Teaching register as a part of teaching
grammar is a good way to acquaint students with notions of
appropriateness and of change in progress.

Herb