ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:01:02 -0400
Linda,

I'm with both Craig and Robert on this.  I like to look at a language as
an ecology, rather as in zoology.  There is nothing in that ecology that
doesn't have its niche, its role that nothing else can do quite as well.
So English has developed expletives and existential for good reason,
usually to allow the speaker to place new information in focus position.
Since English is one of those languages that doesn't allow null
subjects, it has to fill the subject position with something, and
expletive "it" and "there" do the job well.  Existentials also allow us
to avoid indefinite subjects, which tend not to be comfortable in
English.  "A new new message is in your mailbox" doesn't work as well as
"There's a new message in your mailbox."  Existential and extraposed
sentences are great ways to introduce new information, which typically
requires the indefinite.

That said, both constructions get overused and reduce the effectiveness
of one's writing, and you're right to alert your students to that risk.
However, banning constructions like these or the passive, or
artificially restricting "that" and "which," are rather like using broad
spectrum weed killer on your front yard ecology.

Herb

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
interface at: