ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 15:52:49 -0400
I wasn't allowed to use contractions in my dissertation - but of course,
few of our students are writing dissertations, and if they are, they
aren't doing it for our classes. One thing I've found handy in my
grammar class, though, is to have students look at a list of
contractions and try to decide which of them are less formal than others
- "can't" is prohibited in only the most achingly formal registers, but
"I'd" is another story (I also bring up the difference between "cannot"
and "can not").

On the first person pronoun issue, I think students need to be able to
write without it, but shouldn't get the impression that there's anything
inherently wrong with a first-person style in general. The only real
problem with first-person-ing that I've run into in college classes is
that students who are unused to writing arguments will use first person
and present what would otherwise be an assertion of fact as if it's an
opinion statement They're using constructions like "I think" to hedge,
like I did in the first sentence of this paragraph; science writing uses
tons of hedges, but they operate by shifting probability ("potentially
indicates...") rather than tying things to opinion. I'm still trying to
figure out how to politely negotiate the whole issue of opinion and
science with composition students; "your opinions really, honestly don't
matter much, but your arguments and their validity do" seems a bit
abrupt. At the other end of the spectrum, I've had students who so
strongly believed that first person was always bad that they tried to
write personal reaction statements without ever using "I" or "me." It's
possible to manage that, but no one will particularly want to read the
result.

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell

	From: STAHLKE, HERBERT F <[log in to unmask]>
- Special issue (#2009-127)
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 1:21 PM

	Scott,

	I'm not join this debate because I don't know the research on
either side, but meeting one group of 112 students twice a week rather
than four groups of 28 students twice a week for each group strikes me
as simply a different way of handling the same student-teacher ratio.
Meeting four groups of 112 students twice a week for each group seems a
more apt contrast.  Or you could lower that to four groups of 42 or 56
students.  The result would be much less writing and much less response
to writing.

	Herb

	From: Paul E. Doniger [log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]>

	Yes! And all research in education that I've ever seen agrees
that class size is a vital component in successful learning.  This is
especially important to the writing classroom.