ATEG Archives

February 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:55:04 -0500
I'm not sure if this is a satisfactory answer, but the OED entry for "as" cites "as it were" as meaning "as if it were so."  It's clearly elliptical and counterfactual, so the "were" represents the old subjunctive rather than the plural.  But the OED does not say, and I don't know, whether "as it were" derives historically from "as if it were so."

Herb