ATEG Archives

July 1999

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:04:46 -0400
>That's a great sentence, Ed!

I think that both Max and Edith have the right idea about the AS clause:
It does have a "sentence modifier" (or, in this case, relative clause
modifier) flavor.  I'd hesitate to call it an "adverb" (or adverbial)
clause--but "clause of attendant circumstance" certainly fits.

I disagree with Edith's identification of "for" as a coordinating
conjunction.  (In fact, I disagree with "fanboy" as a useful acronym!)
That particular F-word nearly always has more subordinating qualities than
coordinating ones, especially here, where there is a clear "because"
meaning--that is, the "for" clause explains the reason for the many hotels.
While Quirk et. al. in their "Comprehensive Grammar" put "for" in the iffy
category, they clearly label it as a subordinator.  The other five words
represented by "fanboy"--the "anboy" bunch--are all capable of connecting
structures smaller than clauses; "for" is not.  That argument is offset, to
be sure, by the fact that the "for" clause cannot open the sentence as
other subordinate clauses can.  In this case, however, I think the semantic
argument is a strong one.

See you all at ATEG, I hope!

Martha

     I have been putting a grammar course on-line, with answer keys, and
I'm wondering how members of ATEG would explain "as many travelers will
remember" in the following sentence from the opening paragraph of James'
"Daisy Miller":