ATEG Archives

August 2006

Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:06:42 -0400
 John: You wrote : "I am interested Dabro in which elements of your TESOL focussed on the teaching of grammar and what kind of grammar - traditional grammar, linguistic grammar or what?"Perhaps, my situation is different than that of many prospective teachers today. In the first place, I was 61 years old (I'm now 76) when I returned to school, after having worked for 30 years as an actor and radio announcer, so I attended elementary (grammar) school in the 1930s and high school in the 1940s.  A grammar course, using Martha Kolln's Understanding English Grammar  was a requirement for my AA in English Language and Literature. I was then introduced to phrase structure and transformational-generative grammar in a syntax class that was required for my BA in English Language and Composition. My comment, at the  time was, "How can this be used in teaching English? My students won't understand it any better than I do." As an undergraduate student I minored in Spanish.One of the text!
used was Terrell and de Gargill's Linguistica Applicada. I may have learned more about  English grammar in that course than in any of my English grammar courses. I studied Discourse Analysis as both an undergraduate and a graduate student, and I believe that helped in understanding communicative (descriptive) grammar .   I have the Celce-Murcia/Larsen-Freeman text that Dr. Rubba recommends, but I rarely use it. Instead, I've found Betty Azar's Understanding and Using English Grammar  to be more practical--as a reference and in the classoom.   I hope this helps. Peace, David Brown            --- On Wed 08/30, =?windows-1252?Q?John_Curran?= &lt; [log in to unmask] &gt; wrote:From: =?windows-1252?Q?John_Curran?= [mailto: [log in to unmask]]To: [log in to unmask]: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:20:30 -0400Subject: Re: Grammar CertificationHelene and Dabro,Re TESOL - I have almost finished a Masters in TESOL but am disappointed in the practical applications of the
course for a practicing teacher. Although semantics and sociolinguistics are interesting they are of little help to the housewives in Yokohama. Of course I realise that these studies give us many insights into the language. I am interested Dabro in which elements of your TESOL focussed on the teaching of grammar and what kind of grammar - traditional grammar, linguistic grammar or what?JohnTo join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at:http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.htmland select "Join or leave the list"Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.