ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Peter Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:57:37 EDT
This question started as an argument about whether an apostrophe was or was
not a punctuation mark.   I have found people's opinions coalesce around one of
three definitions:

(a)   any mark other than a letter or number is a punctuation mark

(b)   any mark other than a letter or number that is used in written texts to
indicate a pause in the spoken performance of the text is a punctuation mark

(c)   something in between; for example (a) minus the marks on top of the
numbers on most keyboards (but including exclamation points even it they appear
on top of the number 1 on the keyboard), or (b) plus hyphens and dashes and
maybe slashes.

One friend says that punctuation started as the dots writers of Old Hebrew
inserted in texts to indicate where vowels would go.

Another friend raised this issue: if the important quality of a punctuation
mark is that it indicates pauses or boundaries, would a capital letter
indicating the beginning of a sentence be a punctuation mark?   And what about
parentheses?

This is about as far as I've gotten with my friends--who are becoming a
little impatient with the discussion--so I thought I would see if there are any
takers on the "list."

Peter Adams