ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:12:45 -0500
At 12:03 PM 7/20/2006, Craig Hancock wrote:
>. . .As you know very well, most students
>can't read the average handbook, and terminology is a key to that. . . .

DD: I can only vouch for my 5th grade up Latin students at a hybrid
school where all were better than one standard deviation above the
mean in IQ. Point of grammar came up, the anointed one* washed her
hands, dried them, got them inspected and went to the shelf for
Harkness. {Albert Harkness, "A Latin Grammar for Schools and
Colleges, 1864 and later. I sent then to one of my personal copies,
usually the 1889 one, because they like handling books older than any
of their relatives. [Yes, I had more current  handbooks by other
authors.] They understood the honor and trust that I bestowed by
allowing them to so do.} I helped the first few times, as they
prepared the presentation to the class. After that it was the
previous anointed's duty to pass on the lore. They seemed to love it.
We certainly didn't do this every day, but at least once a week.** By
the time they were in Latin III, they knew a lot more about the
technicalities of grammar than the rest of the school cadre. [Well
perhaps not more than Lunch Lady, but she was Honduran trained.]  I
think we sometimes underestimate the ability of our students, as they
try to take evasive actions to conserve energy.

* Haruspica.
** They knew they were awesome.