ATEG Archives

July 2011

From:
Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2011 14:18:39 -0700
Aaah, Eduard. How NICE of you to drop by. You are just what I need.

I had to drop out of school after the fourth grade to help support my family, so I never had the advantages you had.

It would be really, really helpful to me if you would please tell me what the past perfect is and give me some examples. Don't be too technical, just tell me what it is.

Many thanks.

.brad.26july11.

 Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:46:07 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

But you didn't run into a past perfect in the sample below. You ran into a 'had' in front of a past tense verb, which is an unfortunately common occurrence, even among professionals. There are otherwise-well-meaning people who insist on putting 'had's in front of past tense verbs, even irregular past tense verbs, which forces the irregular past participle, making them a tad harder to detect.

But thank you for thinking of me.

.brad.25july11.