ATEG Archives

December 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 18:53:26 -0500
This message was  originally submitted by H. Thomas McCracken
([log in to unmask]) to  the ATEG list
at MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU.

To Bill Murdick:  Thanks for your comments.  There certainly are
differences among the members of this group and that's healthy.  I notice
that your subject was '"NCTE/NCATE Guidelines," but I failed to see any
connection between the Guidelines and your statement.  You said that
you are opposed to any "program of instruction on sentences," but the
guidelines say only that preservice teachers need to (two of the
eight on language which might apply) 3.1.6 "understand English grammars"
and 3.1.7 "understand semantics, syntax, morphology, and phonology."  But
how is any of that a "program of instruction on sentences"?  The
guidelines state what the preservice teacher needs to know.