ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:25:49 -0400
John,
    It surprises me, given all that we now know about teaching writing, that writing "for a variety of audiences" is not a routine part of the secondary English classroom.
   Even when I'm teaching literature, especially as Gen Ed course, I like to let students write about the "excellence" of a story or poem or play.  They get to choose the text and determine what makes it excellent and simply need to be reflective and articulate, helping a reader see the text through that lens. They are, in effect, developing their own aesthetic.  I have tough questions to ask as they work their way through it, but it at least gives the student a chance to own the ideas in their text and to share those ideas with each other.
   I try to live by the rule that the student owns the text. It's hard to square that with outside directed corrections.
   Of course, we also need to help students live in a world of harsh judgment. Like everyone else, I'm struggling to be helpful.

Craig