ATEG Archives

April 2015

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2015 00:56:18 +0000
I suspect that in pronunciation there is a good bit of variation.  The two examples you give sound fine to me, but substitute “Kansas” for “Texas” and I prefer /kaenz@[log in to unmask]  Similarly, “Axis” gives me “the /aeksIs@z/ strategy.”  I thought about “compass,” but it seems to form compounds rather than possessives, as in “compass needle,” “compass points,” “compass case,” etc.  But an interfering factor may be haplology in normal speech, dropping one of two consecutive schwa+sibilant syllables.  In some instances I hear either a voiceless schwa between the two sibilants or even a long /s/ with two pulses.

Herb