ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:49:26 -0400
You can make a couple of suggestions to the student for revision.

The "growing up" doesn't work with "remembered." He remembered them not *while
*he was growing up but *from when* he was growing up. It probably needs
recasting as something like "Tim remembered those books from his childhood."
Or "Those books brought back childhood memories."

You are right that "and also" doesn't capture the relationship between the
two clauses. If the watch was also something he remembered, he could make
both the books and the watch objects: "Tim remembered those books from his
childhood and also a pocket watch at the bottom of the box complete with
chain and front panel that flipped open to show its face." That's still a
little clunky.  It might be best to divide it into two sentences: "Tim
remembered those books from his childhood. He also found a pocket watch at
the bottom of the box complete with chain and front panel that flipped open
to show its face."

Dick