ATEG Archives

November 2001

From:
Judy Diamondstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:52:44 -0500
Bill, your point is well taken, that purpose controls choice of material,
mode of expression, etcetera. I was thinking of the dimensions of a
rhetorical context, which would include purpose, audience, and media, as
"sidewise," not heirarchical. Thanks for the clarification -- it was needed.
Do we agree that all three dimensions of context affect the grammar?

I could quibble with you over what our rhetorical purpose might lead us to
say (probably not: "I am going to write literature..." -- which seems like
an overly general purpose for writing to me!) (also I wonder if we can
assume that narrative is the most common form of literature, if we include
essayist literature, which seems increasingly popular?)

But the real point of difference between us might be whether (& if so when)
to ignore contextual windows when focusing on grammar. And that is probably
not a great difference, since we apparently agree in general on the
pedagogical value of bringing context to the study of grammar.

Again, thanks for the helpful clarification.

Judy