ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
Geoff Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:22:42 -0600
At 04:57 PM 2/15/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm among those who believe that a conscious knowledge of grammar isn't
>necessary to being an excellent writer. This is because I believe that
>one internalizes any grammar with sufficient exposure and motivation.
>The exposure in this case would be reading many, many well-written
>texts. I also believe this because writing happens too fast for one to
>be constantly consciously consulting the many rules that come into play.

First of all, I must congratulate myself for putting the "A" (appositive)
word into play - it's been mentioned a couple of times, and it seems to
epitomize the innanity of remembering the names of things grammatical.  For
example, up until recently I could not have identified a predicate
nominative if my life had depended on it.

The thrust of many recent posts on this thread seem to focus on what is it
that makes good writers, and I have my own personal theory, which in many
ways reflects yours - namely, the "exposure" theory, although I believe it
is much broader than just reading, because good writing has not only sound
grammamtical structure, but it also sounds good - to paraphrase Hamlet - to
your "mind's ear."  This is, I believe, a result of exposure not just as a
reader, but also as a talker and as a listener.

And I think that it is this total exposure to language over an entire
lifetime is the key.  Has anyone ever done a study of great writers to see
what their family backgrounds are - and not just the best-known writers,
but also the everyday great writers for publications such as the Wall St.
Journal, The New Yorker, etc.?

Geoff Layton