ATEG Archives

December 2000

From:
Herb Stahlke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:47:10 -0500
She does, but now that we've addressed the netiquette question, we
might consider getting back to the reason why Brock posted the
exchange in the first place.

When I read through the entire discussion today, I got the feeling
of finding myself in a strange city where familiar things suddenly
looked slightly out of kilter.  Seeing the teaching of grammar
from the point of view of concerned, intelligent, sometimes
ill-informed but unquestionably canny teachers, I see at least the
following things:

a perception of what grammar is that differs from that shared by
most of us who teach grammar to teachers,

an assumed body of research and of authorities on grammar that is
different from what I have seen discussed elsewhere,

a serious grappling with WHY one might teach grammar and, whatever
one's reasons, how that question is related to WHAT one teaches.

These are sensibilities that I find myself needing exposure as our
faculty consider how to train teachers to work with the new
Indiana language arts standards, standards that demand a knowledge
of grammar that few of my undergraduate English majors have
attained.

I don't plan on teaching methods for teaching grammar.  My role is
content.  We have methods people, and we pretty obviously have to
work with them as well, because they're much closer to the middle
school teacher's sensibilities than I am, and they have more to
say than they realize about what future language arts teachers
need to know.

This is the discussion I'd like to see carried on in conjunction
with participants from the middle school list.

Herb Stahlke

<<< [log in to unmask] 12/20  5:00p >>>
Gretchen has *excellent* points for all of us...

Judy

At 03:57 PM 12/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear listserv members,
>     Getchen has good points, and I regret forwarding the NCTE
discussion
>impulsively.  I was sure members would find it interesting, as
they have,
>but the listservs do create a semi-public/semi-private space
where the rules
>are fluid and common sense and courtesy are important.
Gretchen's
>suggestion of an invitation would certainly have been a
preferable route.
>My apologies to the NCTE members involved.
>
>Brock Haussamen

is
> frequently violated. >>
>
>Judy,
>
>What I'm objecting to here is a missed opportunity.  There has
been an
>interesting discussion of grammar on NCTE (to which I belong).
Four or five
>teachers have posted looking for information, and Nancy Patterson
was the
>main respondent, although Candy Lindquist and Jerome also
contributed
>valuable posts.  Brock then quotes Nancy here without
asking/telling her,