ATEG Archives

April 2011

From:
Edgar Schuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:03:57 -0400
Marshall et al,

Reminds me of a quote from M. B. Parkes, author of "Pause and Effect:
An Introduction to the History of Punctuation in the West":
"Punctuation is and always has been a personal matter."
And don't you love the fact that the semicolon in Greek is a symbol
for a question mark?  In Greek, our semicolon represented by the upper
part of a colon.
As for introductory subordinate clauses (in English), I opened the
nearest-at-hand non-fiction book I had:  Its Prologue starts with an
"If"-clause.  And it's not unusual in the best contemporary writing
for authors to punctuate "because" clauses as sentences.  Especially
if they follow a question.
Thanks, Marshall.

Ed Schuster