ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 18:49:19 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/2007 11:09:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Failing this, perhaps he could provide anecdotal  evidence derived from his
own teaching.   However, if he chooses to  do so, may I suggest that he will
need to provide a detailed account  including:

 a) what the grammatical problem is;
b) which examplars he gave and how he presented  them;
c) how many of the students reached the correct  generalisation without
direct help.
d)  how many failed to do  so.

Hi,

I'm a little puzzled.  For years I have been a member of this  list.  I have
posted pleas for curricula, observations of my students,  ideas that I have
tested in my classroom, and responses to others' posts.   Even when people have
disagreed with me, I have always felt welcome and free to  kick around my
middle school experience, even knowing that most of you are  secondary and
post-secondary.

Has the tenor of the list changed so that I have to conduct field  tests
before engaging in a discussion?  It seems that lately, no one  can make a
teaching suggestion without being challenged to write a paper, citing  the literature
and the psychometric data analysis behind it.

Is there still room on the list for the informal discussion of  grammar
teaching?  If not, can anyone suggest another list?  From the  onslaught of
off-list mail I got over my attempts to capture the attention of  middle schoolers in
a grammar class, there at least  a few people who want  to discuss ideas in a
less . . . restrictive manner.

~Gretchen