ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:00:25 -0500
    I am in very preliminary discussions about developing/teaching a
graduate level course in grammar and writing, essentially for current
and prospective teachers.  Is anyone currently teaching such a course?
 If so, would you have a course description and/or syllabus you could
pass on?
    As I had the need described to me, these students tend to see
grammar in largely prescriptive terms and don't have a base of
understanding sufficient to carry out even that limited agenda. The
people considering supporting the course want an approach that wouldn't
contradict progressive practices or diminish the whole enterprise of
writing.
    My first thoughts are that there's too much to cover in a single
semester without some sort of strategy for limiting it down.  I'm
wondering if anyone else out there has faced this problem and come up
with solutions. Is this a somewhat standard course anywhere in the U.S.?
 Should it be?

Craig