ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
"Shelley, Russell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:52:05 -0500
You should read more.

Russell Shelley

-----Original Message-----

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar

[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Despain

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:50 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: Question re "That" vs. "Who"

Herb,

I also am interested in taking up again this question of connectives for

adjective clauses.  It seems to me that there might be a functional

justification of sorts.  In our discussion of the appositive we pointed

out that the noun clause was able to identify the noun like belief,

idea, fact, claim, decision, etc. in much the same way as an adjective

(relative) clause often does.  When we say, "the man that came," the

emphasis seems to be this same idea of identification.  We answer which

man we're talking about.  When we say, "the man who came," the emphasis

is not as much on identification per se as on identification through

description.  In this case the man could well be already identified and

the adjective clause may be interpreted as possibly non-restrictive

even.  At least the author can be non-committal about it.  Perhaps these

differences in meaning, if I am not imagining things, is evidence for

your claim that the connective is substantially different as well.

Bruce

Herb,

    I know we have gone back and forth on this one before, and I'm still

not convinced, but I think it may be important to clarify that there

seems to be agreement that there is such a thing as a relative pronoun

(who, with its various forms, and which, when functioning within these

adjectival clauses), but that is a pronoun in some camps and a

complementizer in others when it functions within a relative clause. We

tend to agree that it is a complementizer in noun clauses precisely

because it clearly has no role within the noun clause.

    I'm wondering whether you see any difference between a content

clause structure and relative clause structure. (Are these the same

structures, but differing in context by function?) The argument for

these as appositional seems to hinge, at least for me, on the sense that

that functions differently. Is the notion of appositional noun clause

somewhat dependent on the misunderstanding of the role of that as

pronoun, at least as you see it? Should we discard the category?

Craig

Stahlke, Herbert F.W. wrote:

Helene,

To expand on my cryptic response to Martha, "that" is the older of the

two ways of starting a relative clause.  "Who" doesn't appear in

relative clauses until the 15th century.  "That" appears six centuries

earlier.  At the time, "that", or its ancestor, was not a pronoun.  It

also is not a pronoun in modern English. It is simply a subordinating

conjunction.  This addresses directly the question of whether or not

"that" can refer to humans.  It's a conjunction.  Conjunctions don't

refer to anything.  Using "that" in something like "The man that met me

at the airport" is fine because "that" is a subordinating conjunction

and doesn't replace the subject or stand for the subject or refer to

"the man" because only pronouns refer and it's not a pronoun.

The rule that "that" can't refer to humans is a stylistic preference

based on a faulty grammatical analysis.  I don't claim to be the first

to argue that relative "that" isn't a pronoun.  Otto Jespersen, probably

the greatest grammarian ever in the history of English, argued for it in

great detail in the first half of the 20th century.

I haven't presented the evidence for the conjunction analysis, because

I've done that before on this list, but I'll be glad to if you'd like to

see it.

Herb Stahlke

Another Ball Stater

Everyone: I always read your discussions and appreciate the fact that

you

know much more about grammar than I ever will. Here is a question for

you

experts.

We all know that language is fluid and that what is heard is picked up

and

practiced by many. Recently I seem to be hearing "He is the one that

went"

or "Those that want ice cream must come to get it!" I was always under

the

impression that whenever we speak of or refer to people, we should use

"who"--"He is the one who went"; "Those who want ice cream...". Has this

changed? Was it never true?

Thanks for your input. Helene A. Hoover (Cassopolis Public Schools,

formerly

Ivy Tech and Ball State)

	From: Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

interface at:

------

This message may contain confidential information, and is

intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it

is addressed.

------

interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select