ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 23:05:07 -0500
Scott,

Consider the difference between these two:

   1. my troublesome, sweet sister
   2. my troublesome sweet tooth

In 1, both "troublesome" and "sweet" modify "sister." My sister is
troublesome but sweet.
In 2, "sweet" modifies "tooth," and "troublesome" modifies "sweet tooth." My
sweet tooth is troublesome.

When two or more adjectives (as in 1) modify a noun in parallel, they are
separated by commas. When one adjective modifies a phrase that contains an
adjective (as in 2), no comma is used.

Other examples:

   - a tall, dark, handsome stranger              [tall & dark & handsome]
   stranger
   - the best inexpensive Italian restaurant     the [best [inexpensive
   [Italian restaurant]]]

Dick