ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Michael Dee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 10:15:18 -0600
In my lifetime, progressive causes have been routinely disparaged by
the logic evident in Dr. Wright's definition: renounce the general
term (and its proponents) by identifying it with an obviously flawed
subcategory or remote relative.  If you doubt the efficacy of this
rhetorical strategy, consider the fate of "liberal."  Believe me, my
rage at the predominance of conservative politics in this country can
easily match Dr. Wright's passionate criticism of romantic idealism.
Not only that: I would agree with the criticism, particularly as it
applies to educational principles and practices. And for that very
reason I object to casting progressives as childish idealists.

More passion available upon request.

Michael Dee