ATEG Archives

February 2010

From:
"Terry,Tina" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:58:52 -0700

"As it were..."

________________________________

The website englishclub.com1 gives the following explanation :

Definitions(!) <http://everything2.com/title/%2528%2521%2529>  :

Merriam-Webster Dictionary
<http://everything2.com/title/Merriam-Webster+Dictionary>  :

In a manner of speaking; as if such were so.

Oxford English Dictionary
<http://everything2.com/title/Oxford+English+Dictionary>  :

Esp. in "as it were": as if it were so, if one might so put it, in some
sort: a parenthetic phrase used to indicate that a word or statement is
perhaps not formally exact though practically right.

dictionary.com <http://everything2.com/title/dictionary.com>  :

(as if it were), a qualifying phrase used to apologize for or to relieve
some expression which might be regarded as inappropriate or incongruous;
in a manner.

________________________________

1.	For a complete description of the subjunctive verb form, check
out :
	http://grammar.englishclub.com/verbs-subjunctive.htm

Tina Terry - ELL Teacher

Payson High School & Rim Country Middle School

Room AUD-1 at PHS

Phone: PHS: 928-474-2233, ext. #2548

Cell phone: 928-595-0528

"To appreciate nonsense requires a serious interest in life." - Humorist
& Illustrator Gelett Burgess (1866-1951)

"For myself - I am an optimist; it does not seem to be much use being
anything else." (Sir Winston S. Churchill, speech at the Lord Mayor's
banquest, London, Nov. 9, 1954.)

THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE, INCLUDING ANY ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTS, IS
CONFIDENTIAL, intended for the sole use of the addressee(s), and may
contain information that is privileged and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. If you are neither the intended recipient nor
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, please
note that any dissemination, distribution, copying or the taking of any
action in reliance upon the message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately. Thank you.