ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Dick Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2010 14:17:29 -0400
I just read that "tomatoes are abundant in antioxidants." Curiously we could
also say that "antioxidants are abundant in tomatoes" and describe the same
factual condition.

There are some "symmetric" predicates (such as "be married to") that allow a
switch of subject and object: If X is married to Y, then Y is married to X.
But in these the predicate retains the same meaning. With "be abundant in,"
the symmetry relies on different synonyms: [be abundant in = contain many]
vs. [be abundant in = widely populate]. I wonder if there are any other
predicates that allow a subject/object reversal and retain meaning courtesy
of a synonym shift.

Dick Veit