ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:32:29 -0400
To me, they both sound okay (the pronoun part, that is--I might want to
rephrase to avoid the serial prepositional phrases).

There is a grammatical rule that our brains unconsciously follow about
when we use personal pronouns to represent noun phrases: When two
identical noun phrases occur in different clauses within a sentence (or
both in the same clause if one is a possessive noun phrase like
"Hrothgar's"), we can turn either the second one or the lower one into a
pronoun.

In other words, we can always pronominalize the second identical noun
phrase:

In Hrothgar's speech, he made jokes.
When Hrothgar spoke, he made jokes.

We can also pronominalize the noun phrase in the lower clause or
possessive phrase:

In his speech, Hrothgar made jokes.
When he spoke, Hrothgar made jokes.
Hrothgar made jokes in his speech.
Hrothgar made jokes when he spoke

But we can't pronominalize the noun phrase when it is neither second nor
lower:

*He made jokes in Hrothgar's speech.
*He made jokes when Hrothgar spoke. (Both are ungrammatical if "he" is
supposed to refer to Hrothgar.)

Dick Veit

Richard Veit
Department of English