ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:55:42 -0500
Taking a page from Kolln's grammar, I tend to use a separate term
("qualifier") for modifiers that modify other modifiers. For
consistency's sake, I then turn around and call the kind of clause under
discussion a "qualifying clause," so that it will be parallel to
"adjective clause," "noun clause," etc. Although I rather like the
generic term "complement clause," I'd have to use that term for noun
clauses as well, and there are *some* differences (no wh-clauses in the
qualifying type, etc.).

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University