ATEG Archives

September 2008

From:
Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 05:03:51 -0700

My inability to extract simple answers to simple questions reminds me of a wonderful movie which I recommend highly, particularly to you. I gave it five Netflix stars, i.e., five on a five scale.

~~~~~~~

The History Boys(2006) R

Nicholas Hytner, Richard Griffiths and Frances de la Tour reprise their Tony-winning roles in this engaging film version of Alan Bennett's play chronicling a rowdy group of boys on their way to higher education. On a quest to attend either Oxford or Cambridge, the teens grapple with the intricacies of university entrance exams and admissions, ultimately learning as much about the education system as they do about academics.

~~~~~~~

In a scene in which a senior student is sitting for his oral exam for Oxford admission, he is asked to please define "history".

The young man, sitting alone facing three teachers, somberly replies, "History is just one fuckin' thing after another".

That's all he said.

Great line. Great movie.

.brad.02sep08.