ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
Nancy Downard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 17:24:30 EDT
Amanda,

I teach 8th grade in Columbia County, Georgia, the suburbs of Augusta.  Our
county has required the use of DOL (a minimum of 3 times per week) in an effort
to raise the L.A. portions of the Georgia CRCT (criterion referenced
competency test).  Many teachers use the Actual Daily Oral Language program, while
others of us use the Daily Language Practice that accompanies our literature
series (Prentice Hall).  I honestly don't see how requiring every m.s. teacher in
the county to utilize DOL on a regular basis UNLESS the teacher is going to
incorporate the DOL lesson into their regular writing curriculum.  Personally, I
only use the Daily Language Practice overheads because I have to.  My
students really learn the intricacies of writing through my writer's workshop, where
we are able to focus on things such as setting off apposotives with commas,
punctuation usage, verb tenses, etc.  However, because the Georgia CRCT requires
students to 'pick out' mistakes in sentences, which is what they're supposed
to accomplish with DOL, it makes sense to my district to practice what is on
the test.

Just my $.02.