ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Brett Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 14:14:05 -0400

On 19-May-09, at 12:43 PM, Assembly for the Teaching of English
Grammar wrote:

> When I order books from amazon.com or amazon.co.uk, I sometimes
> receive
> messages saying:
>
> your order has shipped/has dispatched

Amazon.ca uses only shipped, not dispatched.

The OED has ship in a similar, but somewhat different sense from
1867: "It ships well, and is a very good peach."

In the first 100 hits for HAVE + SHIP in the Corpus of Current
American English, the only relevant examples I see are:
-Popular Mechanics (2006) "there's a chance that your PC may have
shipped with the hardware necessary to connect"
-The Houson Chronicle (2005) "since her debut album in 1990, more
than 150 million Carey albums have shipped."

So, it does appear to be something of an innovation, and not
particularly common.

Best,
Brett

Brett Reynolds
English Language Centre
Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Toronto, Ontario, Canada