ATEG Archives

September 2011

From:
Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:53:23 -0700
In my humble opinion, perhaps Dickinson left the article "the" off of "divinest" for the rhythm and meter of the poem. The iambic pentameter would be disturbed by inserting the article. Also, it would make that line 9 syllables in contrast to the 8 it presently carries which align nicely with the 7 syllables in /Much sense the starkest madness/

Carol