ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:32:32 -0500
I'm going to attempt to focus on general rhetoric rather than any
specific candidate, past or present, if only because the thread is one
with a strong potential for wandering off into non-list-relevant
territory. We're partly involved in trying to decide whether someone's
ability to speak articulately and (for want of a better term) cleverly
is an automatic plus - whether it implies a heightened ability to govern
well. As English-teachers, we're not disinterested parties; it's hard to
feel convincing when you're explaining to students how important it is
to craft language articulately and carefully and at the same time you
(and they) know that someone who hasn't been doing either is president.
We all like to think our field is the most important thing ever, and
enforced humility is never fun. However, I think most of us would agree
with the answers I've dubbed in for the following two questions:

(1) Is it possible for a brilliant speaker to be lousy at governing?
Yes.

(2) Is it possible for a bad speaker to be good at governing? Yes.

And now we get to the "However" part. When dealing with candidates (for
any office, or any job), we're guessing what they might do; the truth of
the matter is only assessable after that person's term. So, the issue is
one of evidence. If someone writes a speech that uses language
articulately and insightfully (and I think it's very important to
distinguish this from giving that speech; I don't want to find out I
voted for someone's ghostwriter), I can gather that the candidate is
capable of being articulate, and of thinking carefully. I don't know
whether or not the candidate will continue to exercise those abilities;
I just know that s/he can do so. I also don't know whether the candidate
can make good decisions - but being able to think carefully and
communicate well is one of the requirements of high office. A candidate
who gives an inarticulate and platitude-ridden speech, conversely, has
not demonstrated that s/he is incapable of articulate language use and
careful thought - instead, we're left with a simple absence of data
(unless it's a very important speech, in which case one has to question
the candidate's judgment if not his/her locution).

Thus, I can view "articulateness" as a plus for a candidate - but I have
to regard arguments such as, "X's position on Y must be wrong because
s/he can't make a simple sentence work" as being an ad hominem attack.
All things being equal, though (as if they ever are), given a choice
between a candidate whose articulateness has demonstrated at least one
or two positive qualities, and a candidate whose inarticulateness has
not given me such evidence, I think it's rational to vote for the
former. Unfortunately, that logic assumes that part of the
otherwise-equal status of the candidates is their positions on
substantive issues.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University

[opinions expressed herein are not to be taken as indicative of the
policy of my institution or department]